BlogSpot, WordPress.com, or Tumblr these are blog site that we can use for own purpose but if you to make some money or advertise your business, I suggest to try WordPress.org(SELF- HOSTED) which is more professional and efficient.
Now I will explain all the details about WordPress and clarify the difference between these two form of WordPress. I’m sure it will help to find out which WordPress platform will be better to use.
Are you going to start a blog or website in the right way, then this article will help to do that is way better.
Table of Contents
WordPress is started as a blogging tool, and its later expand into a full CMS(Content Management System) based on PHP and MySQL.
The first version of WordPress released in 2003, and it’s an open source license under GPVL2. WordPress has one of the most popular platforms for creating websites and blogs over the past decade.
For beginners, you have to know two important things about WordPress which I describe below.
WordPress is supported by a massive community of freelancer designers and development companies that offer free and premium WordPress themes.
Any person can download WordPress themes from the official WordPress or from third party websites for totally free. But if you want something extra, something that worth to pay you can try Premium WordPress themes.
People don’t have to worry about coding knowledge to create a blog. WordPress themes are very easy to shape what you like to be.
Plugins enhanced the core features of WordPress.
There are many plugins available that to add new features of your WordPress websites. All you require to do is to find a plugin (features) that you require for your WordPress powered site, and when you integrate that plugin, you are integrating those features to your site.
You can download WordPress plugins from the Official Plugin or many plugin developers or companies.
WordPress.com vs WordPress.org:
WordPress offers two deviations of its application – WordPress.com & WordPress.org
We have to look deeply into these two deviation individually to understand its difference.
WordPress.com can access by everyone because it’s a free blogging platform that offered by Automattic.
When we create a blog on WordPress.com that will be hosted on the WordPress server. And we will get the web address as “example.wordpress.com”. But you have to pay for the domain name to get “ example.com” and also they are many paid Add-ons, paid themes are available.
In this platform, we can do content writing or just host our thoughts and work. But you can’t do any affiliate links to your blog or website.
On WordPress.com there is some restriction in terms of creating and managing a blog.
The important restrictions are:
- Third party plugins are can’t be installed.
- Have very limited themes allowed to choose.
For a personal blog, these restrictions don’t affect much of your thoughts. As for the blog, architecture and back-up will be managed by the WordPress team.
WordPress.com Suitable for :
- Companies needing to have a web-space for announcements, where factors like design and branding are not important.
- People who need to begin a personal blog.
WordPress.com Unfavorable in :
- You are NOT permitted to offer promotions on your site. In the event that you run a high activity site, at that point you can apply for their promoting program called WordAds where you share income with them. Premium and Business design clients can utilize WordAds immediately.
- You can’t upload plugins. Free plan users will get build in plugin “JetPack” highlights pre-activated. But for Premium plan users can choose from list of plugins which appropriate plugins for their blog.
- You are not allowed the view to their stats. You can’t include Google Analytics or install some other tracking applications. Premium plan users can install Google Analytics.
- They can suspend your site at any time if they think it violates their Terms of Service.
- WordPress.com does not offer any eCommerce features or integrated payment gateways.
This is the Official TOS page for using WordPress.com .which contains all the information you need regarding fair usage and the full TOS of WordPress.
- Additionally you can read more here: How to start blogging on WordPress.com
This is a open source to use, but you must have a domain name and hosting. That is why its know as self-hosted WordPress.
WordPress.org is the best option to make money by creating a blog or website. You can also do promoting for your own business and creating an e-Commerce site.
You can able to use WordPress.org by downloading a copy of WordPress from its official download page and install it on your own web hosting server. There are many hosting companies provides one-click installation for WordPress.
Whatever the limitations are in WordPress.com it will be removed in WordPress.org completely.
WordPress.org can do :
- Install third-party plugins.
- You can monetize in many ways.
- Full control of your website.
- Customize whatever it wants to look like.
All data on the website should be your own thought and ideas. You shouldn’t shut down the website because it can be turned into something illegal.